[darcs-users] Windows and boring files

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Oct 1 02:06:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:02:11 +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> >> Eric, do we have a documentation manager, like we have issue and release
> >> managers?
> >
> > Alas, I do not, but I would be open to the idea, especially if there was
> > somebody willing to volunteer.
> >
> >   http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/DarcsTeam
> >
> > There is a request for a communications manager which currently subsumes
> > that role.  Maybe this could be split off.  Perhaps you could document
> > the role of the documentation manager there.
> >
> > For what it's worth, it doesn't matter to me what we call these hats, so
> > long as somebody is willing to wear them!  So if you want to tear off a
> > chunk-of-hat and deputise yourself, you have my encouragement!
>
> I'd be happy to co-maintain the documentation -- I have a little
> experience as a technical writer -- but I have a too much on my plate
> right now to step up and volunteer as their head documentation manager.
>
> Particularly as the first step would be grokking and mashalling the
> various existing documentation -- such as understanding how the manual
> gets built

The manual is written into the *.lhs files as latex.  We run preproc which
runs darcs and extract from it the information available from --help on each
command, insert that into the manual and finally we run various commands on
the result to generate pdf or html.  I thought there was a step to
pre-process the .lhs files with ghc, such as running cpp on them, but
looking at the makefile makes me think I imagined that step.

Look at ./src/darcs.lhs for the top level latex file.

Jason