[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue1109 and issue1104

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Oct 2 21:40:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:08:34PM +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> Thanks Dmitry,
>
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 17:14:07 +0400, Dmitry Kurochkin wrote:
> > I do not use ssh. So I did not test issue1104 fix, but I am pretty
> > confident that it is correct.
>
> This looks simple enough.  Are there any risks in disabling progress
> reporting before calling exec (maybe some crazy thread-related thing?) I
> seriously doubt it.  If David ok's this for unstable, I think I would be
> willing to break the darcs 2.1 feature embargo, as these are somewhat
> important UI fixes.

Hmmmm.  This is a tricky problem, since part of the reason for the
current progress-reporting design is to because people were
complaining that darcs was silent when ssh was very slow to
connect, so in that regard this is a regression.  But I agree that
this is probably the best approach for now, until we can figure out
how to distinguish between interactive and non-interactive exec
calls.

Although actually, it looks like the 1104 fix doesn't cover the case
where we connect via darcs transfer-mode, which is probably the first
time that users will be prompted for their password.  I think I'll
hack up a little fix for that case.

David