[darcs-users] darcs patch: fix tests to sort of work with hpc.

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Oct 2 21:59:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a patch that I'm probably going to stop working on myself, but
> which I'd be delighted if someone else were to make work.  It (almost)
> makes the darcs test suite able to work with hpc, Haskell Program
> Coverage.  This is a really cool but extremely awkard feature of ghc
> that tracks which expressions and which functions are run, so we could
> see how thorough our test suite is, and get a good idea as to what
> functions we might want to add new tests for.
>
> The trouble is that it always dumps its output in the working
> directory in which darcs is called.  Since the test suite cleans up
> after itself, this makes it awkward to get the coverage data out.  The
> approach I tried in this patch is to create a wrapper that calls darcs
> and then rescues the data.

I thought we already accepted patches for this?  I recall contacting the
author of HPC and discussing solutions with him.  The fix was to add a
feature to HPC so that the tix files could be collected somewhere other than
the working directory.  Off the top of my head I thought this was done via
an env variable.

After that, I seem to recall someone providing patches to make this work.  I
admit, I didn't yet play with it, but now that I'm running ghc6.8.3 I was
going to try it out soon.  In fact, I was hoping to mention the coverage in
my thesis as a versus type witnesses sort of thing.

Ah, yes see here:
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2008-May/012255.html

It almost works, but doesn't really, as I can see that the coverage
> sometimes drops as the test suite is run.  Debugging it is really not
> a good use of my time, and the best and simplest option would probably
> be to fix ghc to allow you to configure the directory in which the
> darcs.tix data is dumped (e.g. by an environment variable).

And then use ghc 6.8.3.  In fact, I thought someone even made the results
web accessible, but the URL is now a 404:
http://www.downstairspeople.org/darcs-hpc/hpc_index.html

My vote is to not add this complexity and instead just use a sufficiently
recent ghc when these statistics are wanted.

Jason