[darcs-users] perl library convenience copies in tests/lib

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Oct 3 09:12:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 18:16:36 +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Therefore, I'd like these convenience copies to just be deleted from the
> codebase.  Those people who run the tests can simply use apt or whatever,
> just like they already need to do for quickcheck2 and haskell
> dependencies of the tests.

Well, it seems a lot of darcs developers are on Debian or a Debian-based
system.  Do you think you could provide instructions on how to get our
hands on the relevant perl libraries (i.e. what packages to install via
apt, and what via cpan?)

> Does anyone have an opinion on the proposed course of action (rm -r
> tests/lib)?

Not sure.  One difference between the functional tests (sh/perl) and the
unit tests (quickcheck) is a really low barrier to entry is vital to the
functional tests.  Perhaps this calls for a radical shellification of
the perl tests, getting rid of the Perl suite entirely (this may mean,
for example, replacing some of the fancier tests with Haskell)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9