[darcs-users] darcs-2 help behavior

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 05:04:34 UTC 2008

Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:

> With the new behavior, after I quit the pager, the help text is gone.

That depends on your terminal configuration.  I think you can tweak it
somewhere in terminfo/termcap, but I don't know exactly where.

You can get the old behaviour with a UUOC:

    darcs --help | cat

By changing the pager, you can make this the default.  For example:

    if [[ $TERM = dumb || $INSIDE_EMACS ]]
    then export PAGER=cat
    fi

> IMO, from a usability point of view this is more cumbersome and
> annoying, with no extra added benefit.

I disagree.  Indeed, when ANY command's output exceeds the terminal's
height, I'd like the output to be implicitly paged.  Until I learn how
to configure that generically in bash, I welcome it on a per-app basis.