[darcs-users] darcs patch: Translate some Perl bugs into shell. (and 2 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 09:51:26 UTC 2008

Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> writes:

> [Hopefully fix issue595 test on Solaris.
> Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>**20081005090156
>
>  I'm not entirely clear on what is causing this to fail.
>  The basic test is:
>    mkdir -p restrictive/liberal
>    chmod 111 restrictive
>    cd restrictive/liberal
>    darcs get
>
>  This is apparantly known to fail under Solaris.

I can't reproduce a failure in such a cd.  The bash behaviour seems to
be the same for both GNU/Linux and Solaris.

On Debian GNU/Linux:

    $ install -d -m 100 x
    $ ls -l x
    ls: cannot open directory x: Permission denied
    $ ls -ld x
    d--x------ 2 twb twb 40 2008-10-05 20:40 x
    $ mkdir x/y
    mkdir: cannot create directory `x/y': Permission denied
    $ (cd x) && echo cd works
    cd works

And on SunOS 5.8:

    $ install -d -m 100 x
    $ /bin/ls -l x
    x: Permission denied
    total 16
    $ /bin/ls -ld x
    d--x------   2 twb      cyber        117 Oct  5 20:45 x
    $ mkdir x/y
    mkdir: Failed to make directory "x/y"; Permission denied
    $ touch x/y
    touch: x/y cannot create
    $ (cd x) && echo cd works
    cd works

>  The original Perl test claims it's because you can't cd into
>  restrictive/liberal, but the shell variant seems to manage fine.

Perhaps perl is being silly, e.g. trying to read the contents of a
directory when it chdir(2)s into it.