[darcs-users] darcs patch: Implement Repository.Repair to provide p... (and 5 more)

me at mornfall.net me at mornfall.net
Sun Oct 5 11:07:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

here comes a bundle that has the previous refactor, plus it (for now) reverts
the way we do repair to using plain directory (instead of hashed) to work
around the grave performance setback on big repos (?) that Kowey has reported.

This all is a little risky, so a little more rigorous review might be in
place. I think there's a risk of leaving around bits when repair or check are
interrupted that might have not been present before the refactor. Not sure how
to best address that, either.

I have also fixed that FIXME about inappropriate progress report in check.

Comments welcome. For near-term future, I'll try to address the performance
issues while retaining the robustness, through working out a way to make hashed
IO efficient-enough for these purposes. (Ideas: keep a track of hashes that
have been recently created and only clean up those, add facilities to
SlurpMonad to automatically sync to disk as-needed (which would, in case of
HashedIO involve cleaning up disappeared files from caches) ... it would also
be interesting to see whether cutting back on directory sizes in cache dirs
would help things.)

Yours,
   Petr.

Fri Sep 26 16:37:21 CEST 2008  me at mornfall.net
  * Implement Repository.Repair to provide primitives for check and repair commands.

Fri Sep 26 16:38:39 CEST 2008  me at mornfall.net
  * Export testTentative from Darcs.Repository.

Fri Sep 26 16:39:19 CEST 2008  me at mornfall.net
  * Implement Commands.Repair in terms of Repository.Repair functionality.

Fri Sep 26 16:40:06 CEST 2008  me at mornfall.net
  * Implement Commands.Check in terms of Repository.Repair functionality.

Sun Oct  5 12:57:59 CEST 2008  me at mornfall.net
  * Revert the way we replay patches to using plain directory instead of hashed.

Sun Oct  5 12:58:47 CEST 2008  me at mornfall.net
  * Fix the "Repairing patch" progress report for darcs check case.