[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add copyright information to .hs files.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Oct 6 17:22:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 15:32:09 +1100, Trent W.Buck wrote:
>> Here's a demonstration of an entirely scripted approach to just dump
>> copyright information into files based on their darcs metadata.
>
> Quick comment: the script src/list_authors.hs has some code which maps
> email addresses in darcs changes (on the darcs repository) to canonical
> names.

I'm not excited about this patch (automatically adding copyright
statements), and am unsure whether I'd want to accept it even if it
were fixed.  The point of copyright statements is for authors to
assert their interest, so far as I can see, and each author really
should have control over his/her own copyright statements.  As Trent
points out, the statements aren't needed, and I'd rather not add
contributor's name to a given file unless that contributor requests it
be added.

But it certainly doesn't make sense to go in without removing
duplicates, etc, and concatenating together contributions from
multiple years.

David