[darcs-users] problem with --sendmail-command

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Oct 6 23:56:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 01:40:38 +0200, Ben Franksen wrote:
> > I wanted to run 'darcs annotate src/Darcs/Externals.lhs'. This was 5
> minutes
> > ago. Darcs is still working hard but am going to kill it now. I know that
> > this is a known (performance) problem, but I just wanted to say how
> > unfortunate this is: annotate is very useful, some would say
> indispensable
> > (especially if combined with the darcs-reannotate script).
>
> For what it's worth, darcs annotate is one of the things I would like us
> to see work on during the upcoming hacking sprint (just 19 more days!).
> We still have to work out a proper agenda.  I know network performance
> is big on the list, as is some poring over memory consumption.  It would
> be awesome if we could rehabilitate darcs annotate.

When I met with Don Stewart last week, I told him I was hoping we could sit
down and sketch a plan to evaluating Oleg's new iteratee based IO for darcs
at the hacking sprint.  It wouldn't be the sort of algorithmic improvement
we need for annotate, but it could help alleviate some of the overall
performance problems.

I'm also still wondering what the previously discussed optimization to
annotate is that David mentioned in this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/darcs-users@darcs.net/msg05822.html

I asked for clarification back in August but no one replied.  Where is this
well known solution documented?

thanks,
Jason