[darcs-users] darcs-2 help behavior

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Tue Oct 7 12:36:01 UTC 2008

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:
>> With the new behavior, after I quit the pager, the help text is gone.
>
> That depends on your terminal configuration.  I think you can tweak it
> somewhere in terminfo/termcap, but I don't know exactly where.
>
> You can get the old behaviour with a UUOC:
>
>     darcs --help | cat
>
> By changing the pager, you can make this the default.  For example:
>
>     if [[ $TERM = dumb || $INSIDE_EMACS ]]
>     then export PAGER=cat
>     fi
>
>> IMO, from a usability point of view this is more cumbersome and
>> annoying, with no extra added benefit.
>
> I disagree.  Indeed, when ANY command's output exceeds the terminal's
> height, I'd like the output to be implicitly paged.  Until I learn how
> to configure that generically in bash, I welcome it on a per-app basis.

My 2 cents: It is nice if to offer paging with a --pager switch
(configurable to be turned on per default if you like) but I agree with Dan
that it is a bad idea to force it on users who might be happy with using
the scroll bar on their terminal (-window). It is unacceptable to demand
permanent re-configuration of a general purpose paging tool just to avoid
this behaviour for darcs (i.e. setting LESS=whatever) and I don't think we
should expect users to be experts in tweaking shell or terminal settings.

Cheers
Ben