[darcs-users] darcs-2 help behavior

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 12:47:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Benjamin Franksen
<benjamin.franksen at bessy.de> wrote:
> Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:
>>> With the new behavior, after I quit the pager, the help text is gone.
>>
>> That depends on your terminal configuration.  I think you can tweak it
>> somewhere in terminfo/termcap, but I don't know exactly where.
>>
>> You can get the old behaviour with a UUOC:
>>
>>     darcs --help | cat
>>
>> By changing the pager, you can make this the default.  For example:
>>
>>     if [[ $TERM = dumb || $INSIDE_EMACS ]]
>>     then export PAGER=cat
>>     fi
>>
>>> IMO, from a usability point of view this is more cumbersome and
>>> annoying, with no extra added benefit.
>>
>> I disagree.  Indeed, when ANY command's output exceeds the terminal's
>> height, I'd like the output to be implicitly paged.  Until I learn how
>> to configure that generically in bash, I welcome it on a per-app basis.
>
> My 2 cents: It is nice if to offer paging with a --pager switch
> (configurable to be turned on per default if you like) but I agree with Dan
> that it is a bad idea to force it on users who might be happy with using
> the scroll bar on their terminal (-window). It is unacceptable to demand
> permanent re-configuration of a general purpose paging tool just to avoid
> this behaviour for darcs (i.e. setting LESS=whatever) and I don't think we
> should expect users to be experts in tweaking shell or terminal settings.

+1

I do not expect a program to use pager for help output by default. And
no other program I use except for darcs does this. Sure I can
reconfigure it. But IMHO the default behavior should be not using
pager. I think that is what most users would expect (at least those
used to unix console).

Regards,
  Dmitry