[darcs-users] darcs-2 help behavior

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 7 13:43:10 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

> As you very well put it ("I'd like"), this is a personal preference, not
> necessarily a good user interface design choice.

For background to this decision, see
 * http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2008-January/007011.html
 * http://bugs.darcs.net/issue896

I would welcome any more background information behind this discussion.
I had the impression that more people specifically asked for this
behaviour before we implemented it.  Is this something people feel
strongly enough about to back out?

Note that this won't be until the 2009-01 release at the earliest.

Two other notes
* to get help explicitly without a pager: darcs help | cat
  to get help explicitly *with*  a pager: darcs help | less
  so as I understand it, this is a question of picking the right
  defaults

* one potential disadvantage of setting DARCS_PAGER to cat is that
  you lose the ability to explicitly request paging, for example,
  hitting 'p' in interactive mode to view the current patch through
  a pager

Thanks for your comments!