[darcs-users] darcs patch: Roll back the Repair.lhs changes for hashed repairs.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 7 15:21:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:16:23 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > I'll be pushing it into stable tomorrow unless I hear some protests.
>
> Personally, I think we should ship Petr's bugfix.  The performance hit
> isn't all that big, and this makes repair usable for windows folks
> with annoying histories.

I'm kinda flip-floppy on this.  I really really like having darcs repair
work on case-insensitive file systems.

I did an informal test, and found that it took over 12 hours to darcs
repair the GHC (hashed) repo on a machine with 1 GiB of RAM, and over
2 hours on a machine with 2 GiB.  The time was much more reasonable
the old way.  But then again, this was just my one test.  Maybe I did
something silly.

 [and darcs repair on the darcs repo is just fine]

Thanks for the protest :-) I could still go either way.
Comments, Petr?