[darcs-users] darcs patch: Roll back the Repair.lhs changes for hashed repairs.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 7 19:37:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 16:21:03 +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> > Personally, I think we should ship Petr's bugfix.  The performance hit
> > isn't all that big, and this makes repair usable for windows folks
> > with annoying histories.

Ok, so I've had a chat with Petr on this on #darcs and have come to a
final decision: we will be accepting the performance hit and shipping
with Petr's code as is, no rollbacks.

Details: Petr agrees that there is a memory-related issue after all.  He
has reproduced the slow-down on a machine with 1G of RAM.  We both agree
that trying to repair the GHC repo on a 2G machine works fine (and
faster actually).  So the problem is pretty well understood and
contained.

Following Petr's advice, I intend to document this performance
regression in the form of release notes, pointing out
 (a) the bad news: repairing a GHC-sized repository requires a machine
     with over 1G of RAM [2 is known to work], or in the worst case,
     darcs 2.0.2
 (b) the good news: the cause of the regression is pretty well
     understood and we are working hard to fix it for the next release
 (c) the better news: now you can repair nasty case-sensitive
     repositories on your Windows or Macintosh, yay!

Thanks, everyone!

[now all we need is to get issue1095 sorted, and we're good to go]