[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue1128: must call execSendmail inside body ...

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Tue Oct 7 21:08:56 UTC 2008

Eric Kow wrote:
>> Tue Oct  7 13:53:03 CEST 2008  benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
>>   * resolve issue1128: must call execSendmail inside body of withOpenTemp
>
> This patch looks good to me.  It does exactly as advertised, and even
> remembers to always close the handle (since it's now always opening it).

Note that this is unnecessy, since withOpenTemp already closes the handle. I
merely followed the established pattern I found in the code. (Removing
these duplicate hClose calls was actually on my list of possible
cleanups...)

> If David accepts it to unstable, I'm probably willing to let this slip
> past the current stable embargo (it being quite straightforward, and
> fixing an actual bug)
>
>> BTW: I have sent this with kmail (via a simple shell script). Yay!
>
> By the way, you don't have the nice 'text/x-darcs-patch' MIME (?)
> business that tells my mutt it's ok to include the patch in my replies.
> Also, you've lost the bundles's filename.  Is that just some script
> tweaking on your end to fix?  (depending on how much of a perfectionist
> you want to be ;-) )

*investigates*

Ok, it seems both the nice filename and the MIME type are added by darcs,
but only to the 'whole email' thing that gets fed via stdin if the
sendmail-command ends with the %< symbol. Unfortunately kmail doesn't have
something like sendmail's -t option and neither accepts it complete email
files (containgin attachments and stuff) on the command line. Looks like
kmail is just too stupid for this job :(

> Also, if you're interested in refactoring the code, my personal
> wishlist: I still would like bundles sent by Windows users to have
> similar properties (i.e. a nice patch bundle filename and whatever MIME
> business it takes for my mail client to understand that I'm actually
> just dealing with a text attachement, a darcs patch to boot).
> http://bugs.darcs.net/issue921

Hmm, for Windows we use a foreign call into MAPI which I didn't plan to
change. OTOH...

I searched a bit on hackage for anything pertaining to email. To my surprise
there is almost nothing except a mail parsing lib and that one looks
complicated (but that may be due to strict adherence to the RFCs). It would
be very nice to have a simple portable(!) smpt client library... maybe it
would be better to start off in that direction and then replace all this
email sending stuff in darcs in one stroke? I mean, does /anyone/ nowadays
use anything other than smtp for sending mails?

Cheers
Ben