[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add Patch-salt as ignored prefix

Nathan Gray kolibrie at graystudios.org
Wed Oct 8 13:50:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 07:25:49AM -0600, zooko wrote:
> For example, let
> us require that the "Ignore-this-patch-salt: BLAHBLAHBLAH" field is
> always the last line of the patch comment, and that it gets hidden
> only if it is the last line and only if BLAHBLAHBLAH matches the
> pattern of a a hex encoded random string of the right length.

This starts to sound scary when the user could cause their
'Ignore-this' line to get absorbed instead of the
'Ignore-this-patch-salt', just by putting theirs at the end of the
comment:

  Ignore-this-count-of-entries-to-ignore: 2
  Ignore-this-patch-salt: BLAHBLAHBLAH
  Ignore-this-my-own-metadata: this messes up the ordering

I think the simplest solution is probably just to document what the
'Ignore-this' string is, and make sure it is not likely to be
accidentally used.

Perhaps even better than 'Ignore-this' is something that describes
even more what it is, such as 'Hidden-metadata'.  If you write that in
your patch comment, you might not be as surprised if it gets sucked up
into the metadata information and no longer shows up in the patch
comment.  Then any line that starts with 'Hidden-metadata-...: ' would
be treated as metadata.

-kolibrie