[darcs-users] darcs patch: Ignore junk more conservatively. (and 1 more)

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:31:57 UTC 2008

For discussion, and maybe stable.

1. Zooko wants darcs patches to tell darcs how many ignore-this
   lines to ignore.  I understand his proposal (at last!), but
   feel it is a bit too complicated.  (Sure, the parsing is
   very very easy, but why do it when we can just change the
   junk names to something users are less likely to use?)

2. a. darcs 2.1.0pre3 ignores /every/ junky line
   b. darcs unstable generates junky lines at the beginning
      of every patch log
   c. Zooko proposes (as a short-term alternative to #1)
      that we ignore junky lines at the /end/ of a patch log

   This patch is a compromise between b and c.  To get (c)
   we could easily flip the (dropWhile is_ignored) into
   (takeWhile is_not_ignored), which could be fine too but
   entails changing darcs-unstable.

3. * Max suggested that we call the line 'Patch-salt'
   * David pointed out that 'Ignore-this' is more general
   * Tommy suggested 'Ignore-this-patch-salt'
   * Nathan proposed 'Hidden-metadata'

   I vote for the Tommy route, which seems to meet all
   criteria and also reduces the risk of ignoring too much.

Wed Oct  8 14:54:17 BST 2008  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
  * Ignore junk more conservatively.
  Instead of ignoring every line that looks like junk, only ignore
  initial lines that do so.

Wed Oct  8 14:57:52 BST 2008  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
  * Make patch junk name more specific.
  We want to reduce the chances of somebody's patch comment being
  accidentally ignored by darcs.
  Idea by Max Battcher and Tommy Pettersson.