[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add Patch-salt as ignored prefix

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Oct 8 16:53:34 UTC 2008

following-up to my own note:

On Oct 8, 2008, at 10:42 AM, zooko wrote:

> See what I mean?  That's the key concept of "out-of-band
> signalling".  Make it so that the metadata which darcs adds and which
> darcs parses and hides and uses is completely separate from the patch
> comment that the user edits, and make it so the two cannot be
> confused with one another.

Basically, what I would *really* like is if darcs had a way to put
arbitrary key-value pairs into the patch description such that old
versions of darcs would ignore key-value pairs whose keys they didn't
recognize.

Then, we could put "patch-salt" as a key and the salt as a value, it
would be completely separate from the patch comment (as it should
be), and old versions of darcs would simply ignore it.

However, old versions of darcs don't do that.  If you put a new field
into their patch metadata then they croak with an error.  Therefore,
the only place where we can stick the patch salt is into the only
arbitrary-length field in the darcs metadata, which happens to be the
patch comment.

However, our goal should be basically to redefine the patch comment
so that in the future there are two separate chunks of data in the
patch comments: the user-editable, user-visible part which serves the
same purpose that the patch comment has always served, and the
arbitrary key-value-pairs part which serves as a place where future
versions of darcs can exchange new fields with each other without
hopelessly confusing darcs 2.1.0 when it sees patches containing
those new fields.

Make sense?

For what it is worth, this is a progression of extensibility and
backwards-compatibility and graceful-upgrade that I have observed and
participated in several times before.  It's a fairly normal process
that darcs is going through.  :-)

Regards,

Zooko
---