[darcs-users] darcs patch: Ignore junk more conservatively. (and 1 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Oct 8 17:22:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 13:10:06 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> What I don't know (and maybe it's hidden somewhere in those emails
> that I only skimmed) is what problem there is.  Why is it considered
> important for users to be able to write "Ignore-this: foobar" in their
> patches and have darcs display this to people who pull from them?

I think it's just Zooko trying to be on the safe side.  He thinks it's
conceivable that users would actually put Ignore-this: into their patch
logs for daily use (I think it's a stretch, but who knows).

The second thing he is trying to do is to make us more future-proof by
suggesting a way to do things so that we can add more metadata in the
future without confusing darcs 2.1.0

The simplest variant I can think of to his proposal is to have a single
cut-off line:

   Ignore-everything-from-this-line-down-used-by-darcs-only

So then we can just do whatever we want below that.  This has the
advantage of doing what Zooko wants without being complicated and
without us having to discuss what to call key-value pairs in the future.

I don't have any strong feelings either way, but I would like to ship
something :-)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9