[darcs-users] darcs patch: Ignore junk more conservatively. (and 1 more)

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:38:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 13:10:06 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
>> What I don't know (and maybe it's hidden somewhere in those emails
>> that I only skimmed) is what problem there is.  Why is it considered
>> important for users to be able to write "Ignore-this: foobar" in their
>> patches and have darcs display this to people who pull from them?
>
> I think it's just Zooko trying to be on the safe side.  He thinks it's
> conceivable that users would actually put Ignore-this: into their patch
> logs for daily use (I think it's a stretch, but who knows).
>
> The second thing he is trying to do is to make us more future-proof by
> suggesting a way to do things so that we can add more metadata in the
> future without confusing darcs 2.1.0

I don't see that we've yet added any metadata, and don't see any
reason to do so.  I think this is a red herring, and we should wait
until there's a feature that would benefit from this.  Or at least we
should ask whether there is some sort of hypothetical feature that it
would benefit.  In the absence of any of those, I'd say we've got what
we want.

As far as the concern about users putting Ignore-this: into their
patch information, I don't see it as a compelling reason to add
complexity to the code, especially since I consider hidden comments to
be a very reasonable feature to add to darcs.

David