[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add Patch-salt as ignored prefix

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Oct 8 19:48:37 UTC 2008

Folks,

I am willing to ship things as they are, leaving things at the
status quo.

As I understand it, this decision is eminently reversible.  The worst
that can happen if we make the 'wrong' decision is that darcs 2.1.0
prints out too much junk should future darcs change its policies.

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 13:19:06 -0600, zooko wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Eric Kow wrote:
>
>>   Ignore-everything-from-this-line-down-used-by-darcs-only

That said, we could also shorten this to just
  "Ignore-everything-from-this-line-down"

The result would
 a) be conservative about ignoring things [Zooko]
 b) allow users to write hidden comments [David]
    [David's recent patch could be tweaked for this]
 c) be dead simple to implement [Eric, David]
 d) allow for future extensions to patch metadata [Zooko,Jason].

David thinks (d) is a red-herring -- we call it 'junk' for a reason;
darcs doesn't really do anything with this field -- and I am more in
the 'ya never know' camp.

Since I don't actually care that much about it, I think we shall
stick the status quo and be shipping with 'Ignore-this:'.

If you feel strongly enough about this, you should probably try to get
future darcs changed :-)