[darcs-users] darcs patch: Ignore junk more conservatively. (and 1 more)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Oct 8 20:59:24 UTC 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 11:10 AM, David Roundy wrote:

> What I don't know (and maybe it's hidden somewhere in those emails
> that I only skimmed) is what problem there is.  Why is it considered
> important for users to be able to write "Ignore-this: foobar" in their
> patches and have darcs display this to people who pull from them?

Because they might not know about this behavior of darcs, and write
"Ignore-this: foobar" with the intent that the line would be
displayed to other users.

The person they are talking to with the imperative command "Ignore-
this: " might not be darcs, it might be themselves, other users, or
other tools that they use to grep the results of "darcs changes".

To put it another way, users would like to have a space for
themselves where they can write whatever they want and darcs will not
mangle it.

Regards,

Zooko
---