[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add a final cleaning-up script to the harness.

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Oct 8 21:19:24 UTC 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 14:49 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:

> Not trying to pick on buildbot here, but this sounds like either a
> design flaw or an oversight in buildbot.  Naively, it seems as
> though you would always want to test in a fresh clean directory.

It certainly is designed to always start in a fresh clean directory.
The way it does this is by running "rm -rf build" on the build
directory before it begins.  That's the step that fails on Solaris
and on OpenBSD:

http://buildbot.darcs.net/builders/zooko%20nooxie%20Solaris-5.11%
20nexenta-20070704%20x86_64/builds/111/steps/darcs/logs/stdio

See how buildbot issued "rm -rf"?  In fact, here -- I'm going to
paste the entire contents of that web page into this mail.  Because I
want people to realize that the output that the buildbot emits
contains all of the important information and is "readable".

It shows what command buildbot issued and what was printed out by
that command, and what the exit code from that command was.

Regards,

Zooko

 > starting darcs operation
 > rm -rf /home/darcslav/darcslav_dir/zooko nooxie/build
 >  in dir /home/darcslav/darcslav_dir/zooko nooxie
 >  watching logfiles {}
 >  argv: ['rm', '-rf', '/home/darcslav/darcslav_dir/zooko nooxie/
build']
 >  environment:
 >   HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
 >   HOME=/home/darcslav
 >   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/usr/local/lib
 >   LESSCLOSE=/usr/bin/lesspipe %s %s
 >   LESSOPEN=| /usr/bin/lesspipe %s
 >   LOGNAME=darcslav
 >   LS_COLORS=blahblahblah zooko deleted this part when e-mailing to
darcs-users
 >   OLDPWD=/home/darcslav
 >   PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/
usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
 >   PWD=/home/darcslav/darcslav_dir
 >   SHELL=/bin/bash
 >   SHLVL=1
 >   TERM=screen
 >   USER=darcslav
 >   _=/usr/local/bin/buildbot
 >  closing stdin
 >  using PTY: True
 > rm: cannot open directory `/home/darcslav/darcslav_dir/zooko
nooxie/build/tests-old-fashioned.dir/tmp_restrictive': Permission denied
 > rm: cannot remove directory `/home/darcslav/darcslav_dir/zooko
nooxie/build/tests-old-fashioned.dir': File exists