[darcs-users] darcs patch: Ignore junk more conservatively. (and 1 more)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Oct 8 21:57:07 UTC 2008

David Roundy wrote:

> > 3. * Max suggested that we call the line 'Patch-salt'
> >    * David pointed out that 'Ignore-this' is more general
> >    * Tommy suggested 'Ignore-this-patch-salt'
> >    * Nathan proposed 'Hidden-metadata'
> >
> >    I vote for the Tommy route, which seems to meet all
> >    criteria and also reduces the risk of ignoring too much.
>
> Nor do I like these.
>
> What I don't know (and maybe it's hidden somewhere in those emails
> that I only skimmed) is what problem there is.  Why is it considered
> important for users to be able to write "Ignore-this: foobar" in their
> patches and have darcs display this to people who pull from them?

At least in my proposal/view/suggestion the idea was not to drop
"Ignore-this:"...  I don't have a problem with a generic "hidden comment",
and in fact can see a use for it.  My only suggestion was that for the patch
salts that darcs unstable is generating it would be nice to make sure that
in the case when you are reading a patch (in say an emailed darcs patch or a
web application or even just darcs annotate --patch) that we know why the
ignore-this is there...  Right now in unstable you get at the top of the
patch (when viewed outside of darcs or with darcs annotate --patch):

Ignore-this: hexgobbledygook

That's fine, but not particularly meaningful to anyone (Why is this in the
patch? Why is this ignored? Etc)...  So I suggested for this particular bit
of information to add in a more specific tag (ie, "Patch-salt: ") which
would make more sense, I think, to someone viewing a patch outside of darcs
for the first time and wondering what the hex string means.  Tommy's
suggestion of "Ignore-this-patch-salt: " combines the idea of leaving the
existing ignore-this as a prefix while adding the useful presentation to
potential viewers of the patch as I suggested.  Tommy's suggestion also has
the benefit (like the "X-*: " suggestion) of providing a space for third
parties to give themselves a queryable space for metadata, which may or may
not be useful.

One final compromise that I could see of benefit would be:

Ignore-this: Auto-generated patch salt: hexgobbledygook

No new ignored prefix, just some added text to the auto-generated hidden
comments describing the intent of the hidden comments, which is my sole
issue here and we can debate hidden meta-data fields some other time...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net