[darcs-users] darcs patch: Ignore junk more conservatively. (and 1 more)

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 10:23:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:38 AM, David Roundy <daveroundy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
>> I don't see that we've yet added any metadata, and don't see any
>> reason to do so.  I think this is a red herring, and we should wait
>> until there's a feature that would benefit from this.  Or at least we
>> should ask whether there is some sort of hypothetical feature that it
>> would benefit.  In the absence of any of those, I'd say we've got what
>> we want.
>
> Actually, people propose various per-patch features from time to time.
> Allowing user-defined attributes on patches (metadata) would be a nice
> pre-factor that allows us to address many of these concerns.  Take for
> instance the proposal to have local-only patches.  These patches could have
> metedata like:

Users are already welcome to add whatever data they like to their
patch comments.  I consider the new feature that they can add have
that data hidden.  I don't see any reason why darcs should have
anything to do with organizing this user data.

As far as the  local-only feature, the users who want this seem to not
want to have to define at patch-record-time which data is local-only.
Otherwise I presume they'd be content with darcs push --match, which
is what  your new feature would empower.

David