[darcs-users] darcs-2 help behavior

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Oct 9 23:27:48 UTC 2008

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Matthias Kilian <kili at outback.escape.de> writes:
>

>> - Therefore, the complaint in the first URL you mentioned has a point
>>   (--help, or -? should produce *short* output). I'm not even sure
>>   wether the advanced options should be printed by darcs at all
>>   (this stuff belongs into the manpage).
>>

> +1.
>
> The current help output is too long.  Advanced help should be moved to
> something like darcs help --advanced foo or darcs foo --full-help, or
> ommitted entirely.
>
> (Obviously the normal --help output would mention that this extended
> resource existed, and refer the user to it.)

Expecting to fit everything in 80x24 so that paging/scrolling is not
required is unreasonable for a program like darcs that has a not trivial
command line interface with over 32 commands each with multiple options.
I find the help helpful as it is, I only don't want to automatically
have it sent to the pager.

--
Dan