[darcs-users] darcs patch: make make_changelog default to quiet output.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Oct 10 15:18:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:16:18PM +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 16:36:00 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > Thu Oct  9 16:33:22 EDT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
> >   * make make_changelog default to quiet output.
> >   You can restore previous behavior by defining the VERBOSE environment
> >   variable.
>
> Heh... I've been secretly hoping the annoyance would drive people to
> write ChangeLog entries, but that obviously isn't working.  Oh well :-)
>
> VERBOSE=1 make ChangeLog is fine by me

Another possibility is to drop the human-friendly ChangeLog
generation.  I don't know who actually uses it.

I think the real problem here is the assumption that every darcs patch
must be explicitly handled in the changelog generation scripts, which
puts a huge burden on the maintainer (you).  That's a relatively new
assumption, although I don't recall who introduced it.  It might make
more sense to just let developers decide when some change is worth
mentioning in the changelog.  But then, I haven't been active in this
bit of the build system for a while, so it's up to you.

I see no reason why you should have to write 145 lines of code in
order to generate 16 lines of ChangeLog (which includes only 8 lines
of actual change text).  Of course, some of those 145 lines (which is
the number of lines added) are just older lines that have gotten moved
around (since you also removed 103 lines, according to darcs), but
this is still a whole lot of churn for very little benefit.

David