[darcs-users] darcs-2 help behavior

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 04:36:54 UTC 2008

Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:
> I'm not against such a feature. I'm against the fact that is enabled
> by default, in such a way that it's next to impossible to disabled it
> without affecting some other part of darcs or the other applications.
>
> A --pager option to the help command would solve this nicely. It
> should default to off, so the old behavior is possible. At the same
> time anyone who wants a pager by default can add to ~/.darcs/defaults
> a line like
>
> help pager

Rather I think it should be --paged or --not-paged. To me, --pager
implies that it takes an argument -- which pager to use.

There's already darcs changes --interactive, which changes darcs changes
to listen to the user rather than just dumping everything to stdout.
Perhaps this feature should also be called --interactive?

> [...] I will keep arguing for disabling automatic paging and adding a
> --pager option that can support both use cases and would make all
> camps happy.

I have no significant problem with this approach.