[darcs-users] darcs-2 help behavior

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 05:05:14 UTC 2008

Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:

> Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> Matthias Kilian <kili at outback.escape.de> writes:
>>> - Therefore, the complaint in the first URL you mentioned has a
>>> point (--help, or -? should produce *short* output). I'm not even
>>> sure wether the advanced options should be printed by darcs at all
>>> (this stuff belongs into the manpage).
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> The current help output is too long.  Advanced help should be moved
>> to something like darcs help --advanced foo or darcs foo --full-help,
>> or omitted entirely.
>
> Expecting to fit everything in 80x24 [...]

I am not arguing for that.  Rather, I am used to the separation between

  - foo --help, a single page to job one's memory;

  - man foo, a few pages with a short explanation for each subcommand
    and switch;

  - info foo, hundreds of pages of detailed explanation, use cases,
    example code, indexes, appendices, and other book-length stuff.

Now that I look at "darcs help" and "darcs record --help" output again,
I see that they aren't as long as I remembered, though it's a lot longer
than it was when I started using darcs :-)

Mainly I was thinking of the case where someone is dropped into darcs
without much help, and is trying to work out what a particular command
is called.  I can remember doing that with hg and git and being
completely overwhelmed because there are so many subcommands.