[darcs-users] Adding a 'last regrets' question after patch selection

Stephen Hicks sdh33 at cornell.edu
Sat Oct 11 19:03:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Florent Becker
<florent.becker at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> our patch selection mechanism is very fine, but I feel it should give a
> 'last exit before hell question' at the end, so that you can review your
> patch selection before commiting to whatever action it is you're
> doing. Let me explain: suppose you are sending to a repository. You have
> three new patches: a b c, with c depending on b. You will have the
> following interaction with darcs:
>
>  'do you want to send a?' -> y
>  'do you want to send b?' -> n
>  'congratulations, you've sent a alone.' -> wtf?
> Of course the problem is that this would change darcs' interactive ui
> and break any scripts that interact with it (in particular our shell
> tests). We could also add a --cautious/--reckless flag pair, but i'm not
> too keen on adding many flags, especially when --reckless would probably
> not be that useful out of existing scripts (you save one 'y', if it
> counts for you, you're not using the interactive ui, are you?). What do
> you think? Change the ui, add a flag, do nothing, something else?

Just this morning I accidently sent a patch for similar reasons.  I
did "darcs send", selected the patch, and then while editing the email
text (I have --edit-description in my defaults), I realized I wanted
to add a long description to the patch.  Instinctively, I hit C-xC-c
to get out of emacs and cancel, and what do I see but "patch sent".  I
don't know if this fits into your question or not (I'm sure I could
have canceled by hitting C-c in the terminal rather than exiting
emacs), but it's a user experience I thought might be valuable to
share.

steve