[darcs-users] darcs patch: cleanup default boring

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 03:22:13 UTC 2008

Thanks for writing this patch!

Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at bessy.de> writes:
>> Sun Oct 12 01:41:48 CEST 2008  ben.franksen at online.de
>>   * cleanup default boring

Is "refactor" a more precise description than "cleanup"?

> [...] it is questionable whether we want to ignore libraries and
> binaries by default, see these lines
>
>   # objects and libraries; lo and la are libtool things
>   \\.(obj|a|exe|so|lo|la)$

What is the use case for darcs recording such files?

The only cases I can think of (providing convenience copies to users)
would IMO be served better by a predist hook when creating release
tarballs.

> [I had a wrong defaults file, so 'darcs send' didn't ask me to edit
> the description. Therefore the follow-up.]

That happens to me from time to time, too -- when I do "HOME=$PWD darcs"
to disable my .darcs while testing bugs.  I think darcs send should
default to asking "edit message body?" the same way that darcs record
does, and then allow users to put either "send no-edit" or "send edit"
in their .darcs/defaults.