[darcs-users] darcs patch: cleanup default boring

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Sun Oct 12 11:30:58 UTC 2008

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at bessy.de> writes:
>>> Sun Oct 12 01:41:48 CEST 2008  ben.franksen at online.de
>>>   * cleanup default boring
>
> Is "refactor" a more precise description than "cleanup"?

I prefer to use the term 'refactor' for changes that re-organize code, e.g.
by moving functionality between functions or modules. In this sense, taking
the IO out of default_boring and default_binaries is a refactor, but the
change to the actual list of lines in default_boring is not.

I think I'll follow my own advice and re-record (and re-send) this as two
separate patches.

>> [...] it is questionable whether we want to ignore libraries and
>> binaries by default, see these lines
>>
>>   # objects and libraries; lo and la are libtool things
>>   \\.(obj|a|exe|so|lo|la)$
>
> What is the use case for darcs recording such files?

I think the standard case is that you don't have the sources for (e.g.) a
library but want to be able to upgrade to new versions. But I am not
instisting this should be changed, merely asking.

There remains the question what to do about the unclear default_boring
entries. I'd really like to get rid of the '???' section. I think I'll take
a 10 minute break and 'darcs annotate ./src/Darcs/Repository/Prefs.lhs' to
see who added them (so I can ask directly ask them).

> The only cases I can think of (providing convenience copies to users)
> would IMO be served better by a predist hook when creating release
> tarballs.
>
>> [I had a wrong defaults file, so 'darcs send' didn't ask me to edit
>> the description. Therefore the follow-up.]
>
> That happens to me from time to time, too -- when I do "HOME=$PWD darcs"
> to disable my .darcs while testing bugs.  I think darcs send should
> default to asking "edit message body?" the same way that darcs record
> does, and then allow users to put either "send no-edit" or "send edit"
> in their .darcs/defaults.

+1. See the thread about "Adding a 'last regrets' question after patch
selection".

Cheers
Ben