[darcs-users] test suite failures on OpenBSD

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Sun Oct 12 14:08:06 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 02:34:58PM +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> >   issue595_get_permissions.sh
>
> I still have to look at this one.

This is not fixable, at least not by modifying the test script. On
OpenBSD and at least Irix (probably on Solaris, too), getcwd(3)
will always return an error when one or more parent directories
aren't readable. For example:

$ mkdir -p /tmp/foo/bar
$ chmod 111 /tmp/foo
$ cd /tmp/foo/bar
$ /bin/pwd
pwd: getcwd: Permission denied

For an explanation, see the last paragraph of the getcwd rationale:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/getcwd.html#tag_03_215_08

The only way to fix this for real would be to let darcs work without
having to know anything about the current working directory. I'm
not sure wether it's worth the trouble. I also think that the setup
mentioned in issue595 (non-readable /home) is just broken.

Ciao,
	Kili

--
... remove comments around quotes