[darcs-users] enfranchising darcs?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 14 07:41:16 UTC 2008

Hey David,

You mentioned on the mailing list that you would like to remove autoconf
support within a few weeks and switch to the new franchise-based build
system.

As I understand the situation: the plan is to start by replacing
autoconf and move to replacing the makefile as setup.hs becomes more
sophisticated.

I think quite a few of us are concerned because this is potentially big
change, at least from the perspective of somebody who is trying to
build darcs.  So it's probably a good idea for us to get our facts
together so that everybody is on board.

1. What are the main benefits behind this switch?  Simplifying the
   Windows build certainly sounds like an interesting one.  Are there
   any franchise features you think make this particularly worthwhile?
   Parallel builds sounds like a nice one.

2. What are the risks involved?  Are there any potential pitfalls to
   be looking out for?  How can we be confident that it would be safe
   for us to make this switch?

3. What are your rollout plans?  What are the criteria for deciding that
   it would be the right time to make the switch?  Is it just a matter
   of teaching setup.hs to do more tricks, or are there things that need
   to change in the universe as well.

4. What are your plans for developing and maintaining franchise?
   Do you think you will be able to get it to point you would consider
   stable fairly quickly?

5. Shall we be expecting people to install franchise separately, or will
   it be a part of darcs?

Thanks!
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9