[darcs-users] TortoiseDarcs and Darcs 2 Hashed Repos

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 14:00:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:
>> echo this is my favorite test > foobar
>> darcs2 add foobar
>> sleep 2 # so the time stamps won't accidentally be identical
>
> 2 seconds is not always long enough to ensure this.  4 seconds probably is.
>  Why do we have to ensure this, anyway?  I'm sorry I don't have time to
> investigate that question now.

Why would  we need more than 2 seconds? (Not disbelieving, just
curious.) Does windows have a time stamp  granularity of greater than
1 second?

It's not an important feature, but these  time stamps are used by
darcs to avoid having to read the entire directory in order to look
for any changes that might have been made.  We also check if  the file
length has been changed (since  that is also cheap).

David