[darcs-users] Professional darcs server

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Oct 16 12:32:57 UTC 2008

Hi there,

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:06:44 -0300, Mauricio wrote:
> Just a sugestion: I think it would be nice if we had some kind of
> professional darcs server. I just saw github.com, where they offer
> free git hosting for open source and paid git hosting for private
> projects. I don't have the resources to do that, but I believe that
> could be a nice business and help to increase darcs community and
> "real world" testing.

Thanks for your suggestion!  I am currently working with Dave Walker
to set up some sort of free darcs hosting.  Dave is a free software
enthusiast who runs a small UK-based (near Brighton) ISP.  The plan
is to offer something on a provisional basis (6 months to see how
things go and then see from there).  This will likely be targeted at
free/open source software projects, so it may not exactly be what you
had in mind, but I think it could be a great start and may eventually
evolve into something more like a darcshub.

Unfortunately, this is stalled at the moment for lack of time on my
part.  I would be very interested to have a volunteer that could serve
as Dave's long term contact.  We already have the bandwidth and the
hardware, generously provided by Dave.  All we need is the software,
people willing to put the software into place, and administrators
for the site.  This is pretty exciting stuff!  Note that because darcs
100% volunteer-run, everything we accomplish in the project only
happens because of initiatives by people like you and me.

Does anybody here want to be the volunteer that makes darcs hosting into
reality?