[darcs-users] TortoiseDarcs and Darcs 2 Hashed Repos

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Oct 16 15:30:37 UTC 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 8:00 AM, David Roundy wrote:

> Why would  we need more than 2 seconds? (Not disbelieving, just
> curious.) Does windows have a time stamp  granularity of greater than
> 1 second?

FAT's granularity is 2 seconds, but I think I saw rumours on the web
archives of various mailing lists that on some filesystems, operating
systems, virtual machines, etc. that the effective granularity of
mtimes is sometimes 3 or 4 seconds.

Still not knowing what we are actually talking about, I wonder if
"sleep 2" or "sleep 4" couldn't be replaced with something like

touch a_temp_file
while mtime(thefile) == mtime(a_temp_file):
     sleep 0.2
     touch a_temp_file

If that could be made to work, it would be more reliable and faster
than "sleep 2".

Regards,

Zooko
---