[darcs-users] darcs patch: Do not use Perl test harness. (and 3 more)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu Oct 16 19:05:38 UTC 2008

> Mark: if you're reading this, I wanted to thank you for all the hard work
> if you've put into setting up the Perl testing infrastructure.  It had some
> really cool features, but I think that our preference for simpler tests
> and simpler infrastructure outweighs our desire for features.  The recent
> licensing issues and Windows buildbot issues were basically just piling on
> that extra bit of motivation to go ahead and make this change.  Anyway,
> thanks again!  I hope to see lots of nice shell tests from you (and hey
> hopefully some darcs code?) in the future.

I appreciate that David let me write tests in Perl in the first place.

I think that was a strategic move, because it allowed someone to contribute and
help the project who otherwise wouldn't and increased the quality of the
project at that time.

I also understand that new concerns are coming up now, and I appreciate the
benefits of simplicity.  I also respect that the current test suite maintainers
may have different choices about the best tools to use, and I feel now like
David may have felt at that the time, that the people actually doing the work
should have some amount of freedom in how they implement the solution.

Overall, I'm glad the project is continuing to move forward, and I thank those
who have helped in the past, and who continue to carry on the work.

    Mark