[darcs-users] What's wrong with darcs on Solaris-based buildbots?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 00:54:06 UTC 2008

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Hi Karel,
>
> With Matthias and David's recent fixes, we are now getting very close to
> having fully green buildbot!
>
> One sticking point.  Your Solaris slave complains about grep -F.
> Strangely, zooko's seemingly equivalent one does not.
>
> http://buildbot.darcs.net/builders/karel%20solaris%20Solaris-5.11%20nevada-79a%20x86_64/builds/138/steps/test/logs/stdio

One of the two buildbots is using a nonstandard $PATH.

Here is a reference to the Single Unix Standard, which defines grep -F.

    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/grep.html

On the only Solaris box I have access to:

    SunOS vanilla 5.8 Generic_108528-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

there are two implementations of grep, and the only one in my $PATH does
not understand -F.  I logged in via ssh and ran /bin/sh, which is not a
login shell.

    $ echo $PATH
    /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb

    $ printf %s\\n a b c | /usr/bin/grep -F b
    /usr/bin/grep: illegal option -- F
    Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
    $ printf %s\\n a b c | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F b
    $ printf %s\\n a b c | /usr/bin/fgrep b