[darcs-users] Professional darcs server

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Oct 17 05:37:20 UTC 2008

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>> Unfortunately, this is stalled at the moment for lack of time on my
>> part.  I would be very interested to have a volunteer that could serve
>> as Dave's long term contact.  We already have the bandwidth and the
>> hardware, generously provided by Dave.  All we need is the software,
>> people willing to put the software into place, and administrators for
>> the site.
>
> Will the software be free software (unlike github)?  If so, is it
> already available for darcs getting and perusal?  Or do you not have any
> code yet?  If that's the case, maybe the happs community would be
> interested in contributing to a "darcshub" project, since if successful
> it'd quickly become a very visible "real world" demonstration of happs.

I don't believe there is any software yet, that's what's holding the
project back.  If someone wanted to build a "darcshub" project for happs
I would bet Eric would be thrilled to try running it.

On the other hand, it might be better to make use of existing repository
browsers like Trac+darcs or Darcsweb...  I've been working on my own
open source repository hosting software for years ("Darcsforge" [1])
which is planned to be nearly a full stack for darcs repository hosting;
only it's not finished yet or really ready for prime time, but its open
source and I'd appreciate anyone interested in contributing (it's
Python, so a bit "easier" than Haskell).

[1] Somewhat Trac-like, but more modular and built around Darcs from the
start, written as a set of Django applications.

Self-hosting: http://darcsforge.code.worldmaker.net

Documentation:
http://repos.worldmaker.net/darcsforge/main/docs/.build/html/index.html

(Including some new documentation just written and posted today!)

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net