[darcs-users] Professional darcs server

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Oct 17 08:31:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 01:37:20 -0400, Max Battcher wrote:
> Trent W. Buck wrote:
> > Will the software be free software (unlike github)?  If so, is it
> > already available for darcs getting and perusal?  Or do you not have any
> > code yet?  If that's the case, maybe the happs community would be
> > interested in contributing to a "darcshub" project, since if successful
> > it'd quickly become a very visible "real world" demonstration of happs.

Trent's idea of getting the happs folks involved sounds interesting.

> I don't believe there is any software yet, that's what's holding the
> project back.  If someone wanted to build a "darcshub" project for happs
> I would bet Eric would be thrilled to try running it.

So, I can tihnk of three pieces of software that we would need

1. basic hosting: managing new project and new user requests
2. forge: repository browsing, issue tracking, etc
3. social code: nice cross-project integration

For now, the main priority is to set up #1 so that we can provide some
minimalistic along the lines of code.haskell.org.  code.haskell.org do
have some simple code for managing this (for example the addtoproject
script that users can run).  By simple, it should really just be a
matter of creating groups, setting default permissions, creating
directories, etc.  Hopefully, the code.haskell.org folks can make their
code for managing the site public.

If not, we could adapt the instructions from
   http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/TracOnDarcs
along with the helper scripts on
   http://trac.loria.fr/projects/admindt
This is a combination of #1 and #2. Admindt goes about #1 in a somewhat
hokey way; each project is treated as a new user.  But surely we can
rewrite this to better distinguish between between users and groups.

If anybody wants to pick this up and run with it, it would be a great
service to the darcs community :-)

> On the other hand, it might be better to make use of existing repository
> browsers like Trac+darcs or Darcsweb...  I've been working on my own
> open source repository hosting software for years ("Darcsforge" [1])
> which is planned to be nearly a full stack for darcs repository hosting;
> only it's not finished yet or really ready for prime time, but its open
> source and I'd appreciate anyone interested in contributing (it's
> Python, so a bit "easier" than Haskell).
> Documentation:
> http://repos.worldmaker.net/darcsforge/main/docs/.build/html/index.html

When you say a full stack, do you mean going all the way from #1 to #3?