[darcs-users] enfranchising darcs?

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:28:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM, J. Garrett Morris
<jgmorris at cecs.pdx.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
>> * I personally do not consider wine to be windows and I do not consider
>> testing on wine to be an acceptable substitute for testing real software for
>> windows compatibility.
>
> For what it's worth, the Franchise build works amazingly smoothly on
> XP SP3 32-bit.  I don't have the proper collection of tools to run the
> test suite though, so if something's going subtly wrong I wouldn't
> know it.  I also haven't tried building against libcurl yet.

I'm glad to hear it! So far as I know, you're the first real windows
user of franchise!  :)

(And a side-note:  this is how a decent build system should work!)

> I'm still attempting to get a Vista 64-bit (although building darcs in
> a 32-bit environment because of a lack of 64-bit Windows support from
> GHC) build working, but it's not Franchise's/Darcs's fault.  I'll
> report back when it's working.  Right now, my biggest issue is that I
> needed to upgrade GHC from 6.8.3 to avoid crashes, and 6.10 seems
> (this is totally unscientific) to be using way more memory - has
> anyone else seen anything like either of these issues?

Hmmm.  What's the trouble with ghc 6.8.3? I thought that ghc 6.8.3 was
fine.  Is it a Vista thing?

David