[darcs-users] enfranchising darcs?

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 17:35:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> I'd also worry about the investment though: cabal has taken 6 years to
> write, and is comparable to darcs in size, but the result is a robust
> package and distribution system used by 1000s of people. How much effort
> can we hope to sync into franchise?

I'd say that this indicates that cabal is solving the wrong problem
for darcs.  Darcs' existing autoconf-based build system took less than
a few months to write, and is still way ahead of cabal in terms of the
functionality needed by darcs.  By solving the problem we need a
solution for, we have a much easier job.  I'd say that if six years of
work on cabal hasn't made it good enough, it's naive to imagine that
another year or two will.

David