[darcs-users] darcs patch: Do not use Perl test harness. (and 3 more)

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Fri Oct 17 19:29:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:21:07AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> I'd rather see a sh-compatible tool written in haskell with builtin
> grep  etc.  A friend is working on  one, and I'm willing to wait  a
> few weeks to see how it progresses.  It's very nice being able to copy
> from the tests into  my bash shell when trying  to figure out what's
> going  wrong.

What do you gain by reimplementing your already existing unix user
space in Haskell? If you want to drop snippets of tests into your
shell, you would have to ensure the Haskell reimplementation (e.g.
the builtin grep) behaves exactly like our standard grep (be it GNU
grep or whatever),

IMHO, we've repaired many of the portability issues in the test
scripts in a timely manner, and thanks to the build bots, we see
new breakage in time, too (and can fix them). I'm really willing
to contribute to this in the future -- after all, I'm doing much
more shell scripting than Haskell programming ;-)

Ciao,
	Kili