[darcs-users] darcs patch: Do not use Perl test harness. (and 3 more)

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 20:27:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Matthias Kilian <kili at outback.escape.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:21:07AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
>> I'd rather see a sh-compatible tool written in haskell with builtin
>> grep  etc.  A friend is working on  one, and I'm willing to wait  a
>> few weeks to see how it progresses.  It's very nice being able to copy
>> from the tests into  my bash shell when trying  to figure out what's
>> going  wrong.
>
> What do you gain by reimplementing your already existing unix user
> space in Haskell? If you want to drop snippets of tests into your
> shell, you would have to ensure the Haskell reimplementation (e.g.
> the builtin grep) behaves exactly like our standard grep (be it GNU
> grep or whatever),

No, it wouldn't have to be exact, since we would only be using the
bash shell for tracking down actual bugs in darcs.

> IMHO, we've repaired many of the portability issues in the test
> scripts in a timely manner, and thanks to the build bots, we see
> new breakage in time, too (and can fix them). I'm really willing
> to contribute to this in the future -- after all, I'm doing much
> more shell scripting than Haskell programming ;-)

I just think it's a waste of time continually chasing after bugs in
the test scripts, and writing contorted and ugly test scripts in order
to be portable.  More compact tests are easier to write and easier to
run.  And it would allow windows tests to be run by that large
fraction of users who are unwilling to install msys or cygwin.

David