[darcs-users] darcs patch: Import cabalisation: Setup.lhs, darcs.ca... (and 13 more)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Oct 18 19:14:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 06:02:15AM -0700, Eric Kow wrote:
> It seems we all agree that /some/ form of Cabalisation is a good thing to have
> in the official darcs repository.  This is what I believe to be the form of
> cabalisation that everybody can live with.

I think this is an overstatement.  I'd still rather keep packaging out of
the official darcs repository on the whole.  I know that we do have a
darcs.spec.in file in release/, but the debian stuff has been removed, and
in release/ it's out of the way.  Perhaps we could put the darcs.cabal in
the same place? We don't have a gentoo ebuild in the official darcs
repository, and I don't see a strong reason why we should add one.  Why is
cabal any different?

> With these patches, cabal configure and cabal build configure and build darcs
> respectively using franchise as the build method.  This allows us to use
> franchise's checking for C libraries, while providing metadata to integrate with
> cabal-install and to help automatic distro packaging tools.  The package
> dependency information is on a purely advisory basis; it is ignored by franchise.

I'd rather see changes move into darcs in a gradual, incremental manner.
I'm likely to accept a reasonable darcs.cabal file, but please make it a
single patch.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net