[darcs-users] getting ready to sprint! (part 2)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Oct 19 18:20:57 UTC 2008

Only one more week to go!  I think we now have a clearer idea on who's
doing what.

Who's going to be there?
IRC channel.  We just want to hack hack hack, wherever we are.

What will we be working on?
---------------------------
Here are the big jobs.  Note that the jobs are big enough to likely need
more than one person on them.  The most natural

Performance regression testing suite:
  The performance regression testing suite needs to be extended with
  more benchmarks and better visualisation.  This will help us to
  get a better idea how we are doing with performance.  (Eric)

Speeding up darcs annotate:
  We hope to develop some cache mechanism which associates files to the
  patches that modify them. (Ganesh)

Making HTTP downloads faster:
  Using some notion of packs to combine lots of small files into a few
  larger ones, we hope to make it much faster to download darcs
  repositories over HTTP, and maybe even to use darcs locally because
  of reduced seek times.  (Nicolas)

New hunk format:
  We need a more compact representation for hunk patches which groups
  together regions that modify consecutive lines.  Perhaps this will
  help us to reduce our memory usage, as in http://bugs.darcs.net/issue80
  (Ian; Jason and Don)

What if I am new to darcs?
--------------------------
Not to worry!  First, we will begin the sprint with a tour of the darcs
code by Jason (Portland) and Nicolas (Paris) [me too if anybody new
comes to Brighton].

Second, I have posted a list of seven very easy tasks and three
moderately easy tasks here:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/Sprints
If you are new to the darcs code, please claim one or two of these
tasks for yourself as warmup.  I'll copy the list below for
convenience, but see the wiki for the latest version.

Third, I hope that we will soon be able to split the big jobs into
subtasks.  Once we do this, we should talk about getting moving
ahead on these the subtasks

Fourth, new darcs hackers can pair up with more experienced darcs
people (Nicolas and Florent in Paris, and Jason in Portland, Eric in
Brighton).  If more people come to the sprint, I think we can safely
pair people up with, Don, Duncan and Ganesh all very experienced
Haskellers who should be able to get up to speed fairly quickly.

What do I do now?
-----------------
1. Check your code.haskell.org access:
     darcs get you at code.haskell.org:/srv/code/darcs/sprint

2. Make sure you can compile darcs and run the test suite

3. Show up!  It looks like we will be working from 10:00 to 18:00
   local time on both Saturday and Sunday.

Looking forward to see you!

Eric

The easy list
-------------
New to darcs?  Claim an easy bug to warm up with

*  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue286 - dist --tag
*  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue545 - send --gpg-command
*  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue628 - tag --edit-command
*  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1000 - tag names