[darcs-users] DRAFT: hcar report

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Oct 20 09:01:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> Draft 2
>
> > For more context, might be good to mention the 2.0 release,
> > contemporaneous development slowdown/burnout, uncertain reception by
> > larger community, decision by ghc to abandon darcs (now partially
> > reversed), and recent rallying of the community.
>
> I was struggling with this.  Here is my attempt.
>
> > Good but risks looking bad if that doesn't happen, also doesn't mention
> > the actual first darcs sprint that's upcoming ?
>
> Ok.  Note the optimistic writing about the future past :-)

\item Code documentation.   We have begun an effort to provide better
>       developer documentation for the darcs.  We are integrating many
>       fine Haskell tools, such as Haddock and Hoogle at
>       \url{http://darcs.net/api-doc}.
>
> Extra "the" in "documentation for the darcs."

\item Regular hacking sprints.  The first darcs hacking sprint was
>       held on 25-26 October and was a great success!  We hope to host
>       similar sprints three or four times a year as a means for
>       experienced developers to concentrate on darcs, and also for
>       newcomers to get to grips with the code.

Saying it was a success seems like misinformation.  We didn't have it yet,
so it seems unfair to assert it was a success.  Don't jinx it :)

"The first darcs hacking sprint, 25-26 October 2008, is expected to be a
great success."

These practices should help us to continue making steady progress.  We
> want darcs to be the pride and joy of the Haskell community, but for
> this to happen, Haskell hackers, we need your help!

Wow.  That's a lot of pressure.  Darcs is good, but the pride and joy?
Hmm...How about something that is still positive and inviting but without
the pride and joy part :)

"These practices should help us continue to steadily improve darcs, and we
are always open to contributions, Haskell hackers, we need your help!"

Thanks Eric,

Jason