[darcs-users] DRAFT: hcar report

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Oct 20 09:26:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 02:01:59 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> Saying it was a success seems like misinformation.  We didn't have it yet,
> so it seems unfair to assert it was a success.  Don't jinx it :)

Oh yeah, well the deadline was after the sprint, so I was writing
optimistically in the hopes of not having to rewrite.

> > These practices should help us to continue making steady progress.  We
> > want darcs to be the pride and joy of the Haskell community, but for
> > this to happen, Haskell hackers, we need your help!

> Wow.  That's a lot of pressure.  Darcs is good, but the pride and joy?
> Hmm...How about something that is still positive and inviting but without
> the pride and joy part :)
>
> "These practices should help us continue to steadily improve darcs, and we
> are always open to contributions, Haskell hackers, we need your help!"

Yeah, subdued is better.  Besides, Haskell now has other prides and joys
now (e.g. xmonad).  I guess I was trying to spur people within the
Haskell community by pointing at outsiders' mistaken impressions that
darcs's shortcomings are somehow due to our use of Haskell. The idea was
to paint a picture of how things could be, that if outsiders are going
to have any impressions about Haskell and darcs, they should be positive
ones.  Sorry for the emotional leak :-)

P.S. Slight technical issue.  Your quoting seems to miss the the first
     line.  For example, you sometimes have
       Eric said
       First line of what Eric said
       > Second line...