[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue784: fix file handle leak and check for exceptions on process running.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Oct 20 09:49:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 08:08:41 +0200, Salvatore Insalaco wrote:
> I'm sorry for not using darcs send: unfortunately my mail are blocked
> by the mailing list spam filter.

Oh well, darcs send is just there to make things more convenient
for you :-)

Speaking of which, I would personally prefer patches to the stable
branch http://darcs.net (which ensures that I can cherry pick them
from unstable).  I intend to pull in the franchise patches fairly
soon, which I think will minimise the inconvenience on your end of
having to deselect those patches in darcs send.

> This patch should hopefully fix issue 784 (Windows complaining while
> paging the help).

Hooray!  As a secondary review, the patch looks good to me.

> 1) There is a file handle leak in pipeDocToPager when an exception is
> raised. This is the direct cause of the "permission denied" errors, as
> you can't delete an opened file in Windows.

Basically you added an hClose, and also switched to bracket, which is
good.

> 2) ortryrunning doesn't check for exceptions: in Windows a failed
> runProcess returns an exception.

Any comments between this and the issue770 fix?  I'm not entirely
sure what the withExit127 fixed, but I had the impression that it
fixed /something/ :-)  But I suppose since fail also results in an
exception, the fact that it is not caught

> 3) runProcess on Windows require explicit ".com" suffix for .com
> executables. We should add "more.com" to the list of possible pagers.

I believe you

> By the way: a bit thank you to David for Franchise. I finally managed
> to compile and patch darcs under Windows installing only GHC and a
> couple of Haskell libraries (HTTP and zlib, required by cabal too). No
> MinGW, no Cygnus. Surely we could improve the build process (the
> configure step before every compilation is a bit annoying), but this
> is a huge step forward.

Great!